The number of job postings for cybersecurity engineers, analysts, architects, auditors, and administrators in Nebraska increased by 68% between 2010 and 2014 according to the tech staffing firm Burning Glass Technologies. Still, the field suffers from “a severe talent shortage” according to Omaha-based cybersecurity company Solutionary’s HR Director, Arlin Halstead, in an announcement on the SANS Institute website in early 2016.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S. in Cyber Security
- SNHU - B.S and M.S. in Cybersecurity
- Utica University - Cybersecurity Degrees Online
- Bay Path University - Our offerings include a suite of online BS in Cybersecurity degrees, plus an accelerated undergraduate certificate.
- California State University San Marcos - Master of Science in Cybersecurity
The good news for those entering the filed with the right credentials is that this shortage effectively drives up starting salary offers as employers in the public and private sector alike compete for the most qualified information security experts. In fact, Burning Glass Technologies reported that the salaries for cybersecurity experts exceeds that of other IT jobs by 9% on average.
CNBC featured Omaha in its 2015 article entitled “Five US Tech Hubs You Probably Didn’t Know About.” Five Fortune 500 companies call Omaha home, including Conagra, Berkshire Hathaway, and Union Pacific—all big companies that rely heavily on tech talent.
As part of Silicon Prairie, Nebraska has become high profile in the tech start-up world, hosting the Big Omaha conference for entrepreneurs, which draws venture capitalists looking for new companies to invest in. Rural Nebraska offers significant opportunities, too, and President Obama chose Kearney as one of 21 communities in the US to participate in a new national training initiative for technology jobs.
Salaries for Cybersecurity Analysts and Administrators in Omaha and Lincoln
According to the Robert Half Technology 2016 Salary Guide, cybersecurity analysts and administrators in Omaha and Lincoln can expect to earn salaries within the ranges shown here. Those educated at the master’s level can expect to earn salaries on the high end of these ranges:
- Data Security Analysts: $105,691 – $148,992
- Systems Security Administrators: $101,280 – $143,250
- Network Security Administrators: $99,120 – $141,120
- Data Security Analysts: $94,682 – $133,472
- Systems Security Administrators: $90,730 – $128,570
- Network Security Administrators: $88,795 – $126,420
Salaries for Information Security Analysts in Lincoln and Omaha
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics provides detailed salary data below for information security analysts in Lincoln and Omaha. Those with a master’s degree can expect to earn salaries in the highest percentiles: