So you want a career in cybersecurity? And why not? After all, according to the 2016 Cybersecurity Market Report, global spending on cybersecurity between 2017 and 2021 will reach an unprecedented $1 trillion.
Even at home, the cybersecurity industry continues to rake in money by the billions. For example, back in February 2016 the Obama Administration announced its decision to invest more than $19 billion in cybersecurity for the FY 2017 budget, which is over 35% more than the amount allotted for the previous year.
But what’s the best strategy for igniting an explosive cybersecurity career?
Consider beginning by earning a certification that not only proves a strong grasp of cybersecurity fundamentals, tools, and skills but also leads to a professional credential. Although certifications don’t guarantee success, they can certainly crack the door open.
Here’s a short list compiled by Business News Daily that features five certifications sure to bolster any cybersecurity amateur’s résumé:
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Security Fundamentals: Offered by Microsoft, this certification reflects general competency in security layers, operating system security, network security, and security software ($127).
- CSX Cybersecurity Fundamentals Certificate: Offered by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), this certificate provides an introductory crash course into the guidelines, standards, and practices shaping the cybersecurity industry ($150).
- GIAC Information Security Fundamentals (GISF): Offered by Global Information Assurance Certification, this certification targets managers, information security officers, and systems administrators looking for proficiency in information assurance ($689-$1,249).
- (ISC)2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP): Offered by International Information System Security Certification Consortium, this certification exhibits a strong ability to navigate IT infrastructure in harmony with information security policies and practices ($250).
- CompTIA Security+: Offered by the Computing Technology Industry Association, this certification exhibits competency in network security, access control, identity management, data and host security, compliance and operation security, threats and vulnerabilities, and cryptography ($311).
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. and M.S. in Cyber Security
- SNHU - B.S and M.S. in Cybersecurity
- Utica University - Cybersecurity Degrees Online
- Bay Path University - Our offerings include a suite of online BS in Cybersecurity degrees, plus an accelerated undergraduate certificate.
- California State University San Marcos - Master of Science in Cybersecurity